What is underwriting?
Underwriting is the non-commercial, radio form of advertising, and it is a way for stations such as ours to generate the minimal operating funds necessary for daily broadcast. Therefore, by underwriting with V89, you become an affiliate of our station, AND a proud sponsor.
What are some of the benefits of underwriting?
- V89 is one of the fastest growing radio stations in the Tallahassee area, with a broadcast radius of about 25 miles.
- Your underwriting will reach the students of FSU, TCC, and FAMU, in addition to the resident population of Tallahassee and its surrounding areas.
- V89 underwriting is far less expensive (on average, about 1/6th to 1/10th the cost) than that of commercial radio stations offering a Rock & Pop format. V89’s average costs run between $8 and $10 per mention, and we pick up the production costs.
- The students and staff at V89 benefit greatly from your support, as underwriting funds help to quell the costs of daily operation.
- You can proudly sponsor the cutting-edge programming that has defined V89 as one of the top college radio stations in the country.
- Underwriting is TAX DEDUCTIBLE!!
What are the technicalities of underwriting?
Underwriting consists of on-air mentions, approximately 30 – 40 seconds in length, that are either read live by a DJ or prerecorded and played on a cart. An underwriting on-air mention may include the following information:
- Name and Location of the Business
- Three Services that the Business Offers
- Phone Number and Hours of Operation of the Business
The above can include a menu list of items, value neutral descriptions, unique qualities of the business, trademark mottoes that normally accompany the business’ name, etc. Due to FCC regulations, an underwriting mention must follow this basic format and cannot include calls to action, comparative or qualitative descriptions, the promotion of free goods, or any prices. What is V89’s Underwriting Philosophy?
As a non-commercial, public radio station, V89 relies on businesses like yours to sponsor our programming. In turn, we are completely dedicated to the community that supports us. As a part of this effort, we prefer to promote private, community, and grassroots businesses and organizations while avoiding national and corporate sponsorship.
You can email the Development Director or contact us through our Underwriting notification system,